More and more fruit flies have been coming out since the start of the season. Fruit flies are those tiny winged nuisances that seem to multiply overnight.
An egg can become an adult fruit fly in just 8-10 days. What’s worse? They can lay 500 eggs in one go on organic materials, most commonly on fermenting fruits. They’re also known to lay eggs in the following areas:
- Sink Drains
- Garbage Disposals
- Recycled Cans and Bottles
- Damp Sponges
What Attracts Fruit Flies?
You can eliminate fruit flies by identifying the source of the infestation first. Yeasty and vinegary smells, as well as odours of decay, attract them. That’s why it helps to put items like tomatoes, potatoes and onions in the refrigerator until your fruit fly situation is solved.
You can find their breeding sites in things or places that are moist, semi-liquid or that have fermenting goo or gunk. These include:
- Drip Pans
- Trash Compactor
- Scum in Drains
- Filthy Buckets
- Mops or Sponges
- Mop Water in Cracks or Crevices
How to Prevent and Get Rid of Fruit Flies
Discarding the produce where the fruit flies are hovering around and resting on will not get rid of the problem. Here are a few practical tips to get rid of fruit flies:
- Shut all doors and window. Most screens are not effective as barriers since these pests can fit right through the openings.
- Spray and clean the bottom of trash bins, mop the floors and take your garbage out on a regular basis – twice a day, preferably.
- Clean out all drains using a bacterial foam or gel drain cleaners.
Need help with your fruit fly situation? Don’t hesitate to contact Bob Gunn Termite Solutions. We offer top-notch fruit fly treatments for homes and businesses in Brisbane, Ipswich, Logan, on the Sunshine Coast, the Gold Coast and surrounds.
Get in touch with us today on 07 3286 977 or book online to get discounted price. We look forward to hearing from you.